Monday, November 17, 2008

Bree's soccer season


As I start this post, I want all to know that the reason I do a blog is not to show off to the world what we are doing as a family. This blog is a way for me to record our family happenings so one day, I can get them published into a book to keep for the future. It is also a way for the childrens' grandparents to get a glimps into their lives since we live so far away.

With that being said, I just wanted to post a copy of a note that we received from Breanna's soccer coach. It reads:

"Mr. and Mrs. Corry,

I just wanted to say Breanna is the most skilled soccer player I have ever coached. More than that, she listens and applies what she learns in practice in the games. She just plain gets it. She plays her best when the competition is the toughest. I felt she played her two best games against the Little Cougars (the toughest team in our league) as she played good defense and kept the pressure on offensively. I can always count on her whether the team needs a good kick-off, throw-in, corner kick or pass. I will always remember the awesome save she made when we played the Keller Cleats when she stopped a shot point blank and caught it against her chest. She never ever complained to me about being too tired or being asked to do something on the field for the team. I saw her improve each and every game we played this season, and she was the rock of the team with regard to consistent good play. I have really enjoyed having her as a player on the team.

Jim"

I think it is the right of a parent to think their children are wonderful and the best. If parents weren't biased towards their own children then this would be a pretty sad world I think. But as a parent you don't want to give your child false praise or let them become overconfident or arrogant because of their talents. We try really hard to encourage our children to work hard at their strenghts and understand that it is because of their hard work that they can accomplish many things. If they want to do well they can't rely on pure talent, it takes persistence and work. So when we got this letter it was very nice to hear this coming from someone else. I think it will reinforce what we have been telling Bree all along, if she works hard, she can accomplish great things.

Well, anyway, here are a few pictures of Breanna's last game of the season.