Monday, April 21, 2008

I'm no Martha Stewart

Some people by nature love hosting parties and love planning and executing a great get together. Martha Stewart is always coming up with great ideas while hosting parties and what you need to do to get everything ready. Well let me tell you, I am no Martha Stewart. There really are very few things I like about hosting get together (besides the guests of course).

We have been blessed to live in a ward that has wonderful people who love to host parties. These ladies in my ward love to have get-togethers for just about anything and I must say I really enjoy going to their houses for these parties.

Unfortunately, at some point, it is necessary to return the favor. Now don't get me wrong, I love hanging out with friends and I love playing games, I just have serious stress having to be in charge.

I try to avoid feeding people meals when they come over, mainly because they are all good cooks and I, as mentioned several other times in other blogs, am only a mediocre cook at best. I don't even like to feed the missionaries who really should just be glad to have a meal. Usually, when we have friends over I just provide dessert or have potluck meals, which I can handle.

Well last Saturday it was our turn to host the iron chef competition that we have going on with several families in the ward. I must say, I was feeling good at about 9:30 PM Saturday night knowing that our turn was over.

We had eight couples including ourselves over and it was a tight fit. I guess I am glad that three other couples were either out of town or had other plans, although I really do like all these families.

I think things went OK. Our special ingredient was pineapple (all the dishes have to have that special ingredient in them)and I thought there were some really yummy dishes. One couple made homemade ham and pineapple pizza with homemade mozzarella cheese on it (Kris, I'm sure Rich would like that one). There were cheese balls, salsa, crepes, a cake, some Hawaiian pork (I think) to put over rice, chicken salad sandwiches, punch (I made this and it was again, mediocre), and the winner was bacon wrapped pineapple, which won by a landslide. It was a nice appetizer.























We played a game after eating all the food. It went well I think. I guess the best part is just being able to chat and hang out with friends.

Well Martha Stewart may not have been too impressed, but then again, I'm not sure much would impress her.

No comments: