Yesterday for art I decided to have the kids paint a still life of an ice cream sundae. I won't go into the details of the messes (for there were many messes, mostly on the canvases themselves) or the frustration on my part of impatient children trying to rush through their painting so they could go play with our hamster, or the complete hopelessness I felt as I watched some of the kids glop the black paint all over their pictures and make a mess of them. But I will just say, it was an interesting project.
Here is Joshua's painting. Joshua 's painting is a sundae being sucked into a purple hole (like a black hole but it is purple) with a robot named Bob (see the little white smiley face on the side) holding on to it. I'm not sure what was going through his head as he was creating this, but hey, nobody can accuse him of not having an imagination.
Breanna's painting is what I would like to term an impressionist still life. She used an impasto technique (go look it up) which combines the complementary colors of green and red. Notice the large brush strokes and the unusual visual angles. The black was added only to make the sundae really stand out from the background (which isn't a true impressionist technique). I'm pretty sure that her motive from the start was trying to achieve an impressionist look in her painting. She never said this in so many words, but hey, just look at this painting, it has Monet written all over it.
P.S. I just want to say that I was so proud how my sundaes (at the top of the page) turned out. I made them with mashed potatoes (rancid, foul smelling, gag (not gas) producing, ten year old, food storage, potato pearls to be exact), sour cream, and an olive with a toothpick in it (for the cherry). The only real ingredient was the chocolate syrup.
1 comment:
I think their paintings look good. I am not sure I could do as good as Joshua did. No talent in that are, your kids are lucky to be gaining some skills in art. You go girl.
Post a Comment