Sunday, April 12, 2009

The garden





















For several years now we have wanted to have a garden. Texas isn't the ideal place to grow a garden because the soil here is awful. We have done a bit of research (well we have asked friends anyhow) to figure out what needed to be done to have a garden.

First of all, we found we had to have dirt broght in, there is just no way to do plants in the native soil. So Jason built a raised garden for us. Then we had three yards of compost, topsoil and manure dumped on our driveway to haul to our backyard. The kids really worked hard filling the wheelbarrows and hauling that dirt. I was impressed.
Then we picked our veggies to plant. Tomatoes are a must, along with peppers (we love salsa in our home). Cucumbers, squash, busselspouts (we just thought it would be fun to try) and watermelon were planted in our garden. We also put strawberries and raspberries in another area of our backyard. I also decided to try some oregano, basil and cilantro in some planters.
This gardening thing might not amount to much, but it is really fun to think about what could be. There's really nothing like fresh homegrown veggies.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Yeah for you. I am terrible with a garden...I kill everything...and that was in areas that are pretty garden friendly :)