Sunday, April 12, 2009

Lonestar park


In a nearby town, Grand Prairie, they have a horse racing track. For the past couple of years we have thought it would be fun to take the kids to see some horse races. We decided to take them to the opening weekend races yesterday.

It turned out to be a great time. It was really surprising to me how many people go to these races. It is actually quite family friendly and there were tons of kids around.

We stayed to watch 7 races. Each race we would all pick our favorite horse. Sometimes we would pick it based on the names or the numbers or the colors of the horses and other times we would look to see who were the favorites to win.

We decided that whoever had the most wins would be able to pick out any dessert in my cooking magazines and I would make it for them. Well Josh's horses came in first 4 out of the seven races. I was a bit concerned how good he was at picking them (most of my picks came in last or second to last) and I made him swear that he would not become a professional a the horse race betting scene when he was older. He swore to me he would never bet on the horses. What a good boy :)

After each race the winning horse and jockey would go to the winners circle and the jockey would sign a pair of goggles for a young fan. We waited by the winners circle after several races and both Breanna and her friend Kaitlyn were given pairs of goggles. Then because these two girls are so dang cute, they were given two more pairs (which they gave to their brothers). The kids were cracking me up. Both Breanna and Josh wore their goggles the whole way home. We had to stop at a couple of stores and we made them take them off while we went in. They weren't too happy about that. Then they wore them the rest of the evening at home. I think Joshua has his on right now while I type this. They are funny kids.

We were really amazed at how lean and muscular these horses were. They almost looked malnurished compared to other horses I've seen, although I'm sure they aren't at all. They were beautiful though.

We'll definitely have to go again sometime.


No comments: