
This past Tuesday my friend, Susan, and I played in a doubles tennis tournament. We had been planning this for about a month and we were both really excited about doing it. We have both recently taken up tennis so we were going to be playing in the beginners bracket. The other gals that we knew who were also playing in this bracket would call us the "dynamic duo" and tell us how we would kill all the competition. (I have to clarify, that Susan is the really good tennis player, the best in our division).
When we arrived on Tuesday we were feeling rather confident in our abilities and joking about winning. We found out however, that somehow our registration didn't get to the guy in charge. So as we were leaving feeling rather disappointed, they told us that we could take the place of a pair of no-shows. We decided to do it. The MAJOR problem, was that we had to play in the higher bracket.
Well to make a long story short, we were SKUNKED!!!!! We were so out of our league. It was a miracle if we could return their serves because they were hit so hard. It really was pathetic and a bit humbling, actually very humbling, to see how far we have to go to be as good as these other ladies.
It was rather disappointing to watch these other gals that we play with on our beginners Tuesday league, get their medals. The medals were really nice too. They had cute little tennis rackets that crossed on them. The gals that got the medals told us that they were sorry we didn't get into that bracket, but not really. They didn't want to play against us.
It really made me feel badly all day. I've never been an athlete, but I really have come to enjoy tennis. I guess I got my hopes up and it was hard to see us do so poorly. Luckily for me, I've got a great husband. He felt so badly that I was feeling badly that he brought a medal home for me. Isn't he sweet?
No comments:
Post a Comment