Yesterday morning before school Josh said he had a sore throat. He was fine otherwise. When I picked him up from school at noon (we had early release yesterday) he said he had a headache along with his sore throat. He was fine otherwise. He then started coughing so I took his temp (97.8). He was fine otherwise. At about 2:00 he looked really flushed so I took his temp again (100.3). OK, I guess he wasn't so fine. I called the doctor (knowing it is Friday afternoon and I didn't want to go to urgent care on a Saturday) and they got him right in. They took his temp and he was 101. The doc said he had all the signs of the Swine flu and he said the test for the flu was inaccurate so he didn't test him. He just treated him. Since Josh is high risk because of his diabetes, he gave him a prescription for Tamiflu.
Poor Josh was miserable by the time we got home. He just laid on the couch and wouldn't eat a thing (he was slightly nauseated). Jason finally got him to take some Motrin and eat a few crackers and take his Tamiflu.
So here is the problem. He is fine this morning!!! It has been 8 hours since his last Motrin. No fever, no headache, no sore throat! So are we treating him with Tamiflu for some little virus that would have gone away on its own? Do we finish out the Tamiflu? I am so confused.
Yesterday I was sure he had the flu. Now I'm not so sure. Since the doctor didn't test him, how am I to know what to do? Ahhhgggg. I guess we'll just let it ride today and see if he starts running a fever later.
I'll keep you updated.
1 comment:
Hey Becky,
Just my two cents, but tamiflu isn't like abtibiotics so Josh should be able to just stop taking it. But if your Dr. tells you otherwise obviously do that. doesn't sound like it was the swine flu though because those symptoms usually last for 7-10 days. Hope all is well with the family and that Joshua keeps feeling better. Good Luck.
Post a Comment