Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cultural experiences

Living here in the DFW area we have access to pretty much any type of entertainment you can imagine. We strive to give our children some cultural experiences that will help them be well rounded adults. We've taken them to a several symphonies, many different museums (art, science and history), musicals, plays, choir performances, etc.

We like to think we are pretty cultured people. So Friday night we were excited to take our kids to yet another cultural experience that we felt ranked right up there with the Fort Worth Symphony..... The MONSTER TRUCK RACES!!!!

Only a couple of miles away lies the Texas motor speedway where Nascar races are held a few times a year. We came across an advertisement for the Monster Truck races and thought it would be great fun for the kids. We invited our friends, the Walls, who have four boys (perfect, what boy wouldn't love the monster trucks?) to come along too.


(They look thrilled don't they?)


(Bree's and my favorite, the "Heart Breaker")


(The driver of the "Heart Breaker")



(Josh's favorite, the "Beast")

We had the great opportunity to see the monster trucks pop wheelies, do free-style jumps and spins, race each other over junk yard cars, and listen to their very loud motors rev all night (you haven't heard anything as loud as monster truck motors).


They also featured aerial MX bikes and ATV riders. They would jump a ramp that was way high. They would flip their bikes and their ATV in the air (I couldn't get pictures of their full flips because it was dark by the time they did those, but I got a couple of them doing other tricks).

(Notice no hands on the handlebars)

Well, Jason and I had a really good time. It was quite entertaining and neither of us had ever done it before. The kids on the other hand.... didn't quite appreciate it. Josh had a permanent scowl on his face (except for the few pictures we took). I'm not sure if it is the age (his friend Jake had a similar look about him) or if he really hated it. Bree did OK and actually seemed to find it interesting, but never wants to go back.

As you can imagine, the type of people that go to these types of things are a bit "redneckish". We weren't quite prepared for all the people smoking around us (it was quite disgusting) and the clothes people wore were anything but appealing. I'm not sure if I've ever seen so many tattooed bodies in one place. It was good people watching though.
So we didn't quite fulfill our hopes that the kids would enjoy this night and get a bit more culture (negative possibly) to their lives.


....FAST FORWARD TO SATURDAY NIGHT

SOOOO, We decided to give it another try last night and we took the kids to a concert in the park that the city of Keller hosted. A band called Me and My Monkey played a Beatles tribute. It was really fun. Josh cracked a few more smiles and I saw a few knee bounces to the rhythm of the music. Bree was singing her heart out all night (I love her energy) and seemed to really like it.


The heat was oppressive though. It started at 8 PM and it was almost 100 degrees (with humidity I'm sure it felt like it) and when we left at 10 PM it was down to 91. We were in the shade which made it tolerable but the poor band was sweltering under the lights.



Besides that though, it was a great evening. One out of two good nights is OK I guess.

No comments: