Friday, September 9, 2011

Part 2, Yellowstone

For the middle part of our vacation we went up with Jason's family up to Island Park, Idaho which is about an hour outside of Yellowstone. We stayed in a cabin which had a view of the Teton Mountains.




For two days we drove into Yellowstone and toured around. We had a great time seeing Old Faithful (which isn't all that faithful, but still really fabulous),



Mammoth Hot Springs (a bit different than what we remember from our youth, but still cool)




bubbling mud pots,


other hot springs and geysers,





and the wildlife. Well, we only saw a couple of elk and one buffalo. Apparently, we were in the wrong areas and we needed to be there earlier in the day. So we were a bit disappointed on the animal front, but the other things were cool.



One day we went to some waterfalls, called Upper and Lower Mesa Falls, which were located only a couple of miles from our cabin. They were really pretty to see.






Later that day the kids (and Jason, Drew and Chris) played in the Henry Fork River, for a while.




Bree had a scare when her tube went too far into the river. Jason and Drew had to do a rescue. It all turned out well, but Bree was quite terrified.





Drew did most of the rescuing I think.


After a while, the kids got a hang of the tubing part and had fun floating down a ways.






We had a couple of game nights too. One night we played Bunco and had a good time rolling the dice. There were some fun prizes to be won too.


We also had a fun time playing Ninja or was it called Samurai. I can't explain the rules, but it was one of the highlights of the vacation.








A couple of mornings most of the adults went for a morning run. I tell you those Corrys have lungs of steel. I run with Jason four days a week and I thought I would be fine. Was I ever wrong. I couldn't make it up one single hill (and there were a lot of them). But the Corry clan (including Becky) had no problem. OK so Chris, Amy and MaryJean could all make it too, it was just me, I am a wimp!

Josh had a great time hanging with his cousin Derrek. They were making up a story the whole time. Don't let the fact that Derrek is so much taller than Josh fool you, Josh is five month older :). I think Derrek has always been taller than Josh even when Derrek was a month old and Josh was six months old, I have a picture where Derrek is a couple of inches taller. Huh, sorry Josh.


Breanna played with her two five year-old cousins, Riley and Kenzie, the whole time and seemed to love it. It really makes a mom proud when the two five year-olds start singing "Beans, Beans the magical fruit, the more you eat, the more you.....", and they tell you that Breanna taught it to them. Sorry Becky and MaryJean, Bree didn't learn it from me (well maybe she did, but I'm blaming Jason).





It was a fabulous vacation and we already look forward to the next Corry reunion in two years!!!

No comments: