Saturday, November 17, 2007

Our Gene Pool

Most people spend hours, days, weeks, months, even years to determine their major in college. Afterall, your degree has great influence on the rest of your life. Me? Well, I wasn't like most people.

I woke up one day and said, "What can I do to graduate as soon as possible?" As a result, I became a psychology major...my first problem. My second problem was that I enjoyed it enough that I actually found research quite an interesting topic. Even now, I love reading studies critically and evaluating the quality of a researchers method and subsequent findings.

Not long ago, I came across a study regarding the size of a woman's waist in comparision to her hips as an indicator of intelligence (according to the findings of this study Becky is VERY smart by the way). While explaining to Becky the reason of her intelligence, we both began looking at our children for physical indicators of intelligence, whether in terms of IQ, kinesthetics, or whatever.

What was alarming was we realized how many traits our Parents had passed down to their grandchildren. Below is just a sample of what we have identified:
  • Joshua is tender-hearted that he tears up easily whenever he sees, reads, or thinks about something sad. Thanks Grandpa Soda.


  • Both Joshua and Bree have the talent of absentmindedly laying something down and not realizing they have done it. Thanks again Grandpa Soda.


  • If someone doesn't take care of the things Bree considers important, it is a dark day in our house. For example, one day, as the kids were picking up their rooms, Josh non-chalantly tossed one of Bree's dolls through the doorway into her room. Bree immediately yelled "Thanks a lot Josh, now she's dead, dead, dead. She's all dead." This reminded me of something Grandma soda said to Kim when she forgot to water her flowers while she was on vacation "They're dead, dead, dead! They're all dead!"


  • Speaking of Breanna...how do I say this politely...hmmm...well, let's just say that she has quite a potent bottom. Where did that come from? Do I even have to say it? Thanks Grandma Corry (are you even reading this Mom?).
Thankfully, the kids did receive some traits from Becky and I. I may be biased, but the traits the kids got from Becky and I more than make up for what they inherited further up the line. For example:

Have you ever noticed the size of Becky's head. It's huge. I mean the thing has its own solar system. That's OK though. Sir Frances Galton (1888), R. Lynn (1989), and S. Broman (1987) all found a positive association between head size and intelligence.

You might wonder why I am stating all these facts...well, have you seen the size of Joshua's head? It puts Becky's to shame. Joshua is a genius. Not only does he read like a mad man (4 Harry Potter books and several other shorter books since the beginning of the school year), he's a whiz at math, science, and social studies. His teacher's routinely say things like "...his performance is amazing...it's unbelievable." Thanks Becky.

Those of you who knew me in my younger days, knew me as a fireball of competitive energy that refused to lose at anything. Where my talent lacked, my shear determination usually made up the difference. My sweet daughter has the same fire in her belly. Whether it's playing soccer, games with family, basketball, riding her bike, or 500 in the backyard with Joshua's friends, Breanna has an unbridled desire to win (and she usually does). She is unbelievable coordinated for her age and is a phenominal athlete for her size.

Of course, this means that if I am happy to take credit for her prowess on the soccer field, I also must take credit for her beating the daylights out of her brother over a quick game of Old Maid.

As you can probably tell, I could go on for hours on this topic. However, Becky and I have come to the conclusion that every good trait our children have came from us...the not-so-desireable traits? Well, thanks Grandma Corry and Grandpa and Grandma Soda.

No comments: