Monday, August 25, 2008

Back to School

I often wonder if I'm the only mom who feels like I just can't seem to do the right things. I read blogs about other moms who seem to be perfect. Their homes are immaculate (they post pictures of their perfectly clean, organized closets, craft rooms, kitchens etc), they take their kids on field trips to the bread making company, zoo, museum, etc once a week, they do craft projects with them every day, they do cute hairstyles on their daughters everyday, (you get the picture).

Well recently I had a conversation with some moms who were saying the "cute" things they do for their kids on the first day of school. They talked about the big breakfasts they make, the cute messages they write, the packets of cute things they send for their teachers, (need I go on?)

Man, I am a crummy mom.

This is a recap of our first day of school: I got home from my run at 6:15, showered (didn't dry my hair), got breakfast ready (it consisted of mini wheats for Josh and eggos for Bree), fixed Bree's hair, ran around looking for items that Bree had to take for the first day that described who she was (we should have done this on Saturday) and grabbed the school supplies as we were running out the door. We were so late I had to park half a block from the school. One of the bags that had the school supplies broke. Bree kept saying in a panicky voice, "I know I'm going to be late." And yes, we were the last in both classes. All the other kids were sitting in their seats already started on their work. I couldn't believe this morning. I usually pride myself on being on time. I really don't know what happened. What a mess.

So, not only did my kids not get a fancy breakfast, cute items to take to their teachers, homemade cookies with a cute story attached (yea, some mom's do that too) they were the last in their class with their mom straggling along, breaking a sweat trying to carry 20 pounds of school construction paper.

Hey, I did get pictures as we were flying out the door. Do you think that will qualify me for Mother of the year?




2 comments:

Jennifer Crawford said...

Becky- I laughed so hard because your morning sounded just about like mine! I am definitely not the most creative and perfect mother but at least they got there, dressed in school clothes, new backpack and smiles on their faces! Can't ask for anything more than that!

Carie Ann Wall said...

You are a great Mom! I should know...I see you in action all the time! Think about how great your kids are, thats gotta count for EVERYTHING!