Sunday, May 23, 2010

The end of soccer


Breanna's soccer season ended yesterday. It was a pretty amazing year for her team. They went undefeated, outscoring their opponents 46-11 throughout the whole season. Breanna really loves playing with her team. They are a fun team to watch and have great potential.

This last weekend they played in a tournament (one game Friday, and two Saturday). A few days before the tournament the coach's daughter, Gracie, broke her collarbone and couldn't play. This was a huge blow for our girls since she was one of the strongest players and best defender (she played midfielder) on the team. Gracie and Bree are really good friends and it was sad to watch Gracie have to sit on the side lines.

Our girls didn't play their normal selves on Friday and they got beat 4-5 (which Bree took very hard, since she isn't used to losing). Not having Gracie be a defender lead to the other team's 5 goals (they were all wide open goals, not our usual play). It was a very frustrating game to watch, but it was humbling for our girls (and parents) and it made them get some fire for the Saturday games.

They played outstanding soccer on Saturday and won both their games. Unfortunately they didn't move on to the finals because they tied their overall tournament score with the team that beat them. Because that team beat us they were the ones that went to the finals. I guess it worked out OK for Bree since the finals are today and she doesn't play on Sundays, meaning they would have only been playing with 6 players, which would have been really tough (considering it is in the 90s and the girls get exhausted without enough substitutions). The coach is always great about Bree not playing on Sunday, but the other teammates don't always seem to understand. So at least they couldn't be mad at Bree for not being there.

Here is a nice e-mail the coach sent about Bree some time ago.

Mr. and Mrs. Corry,

On Saturday, I thought Breanna had the most complete game that I have seen her play. I counted at least ten crossing passes that could have led to scores. She made at least three outstanding passes to Madelyn in the first quarter that we dead on. In the fourth quarter she made at least five passes to Maddie which should have resulted in goals. The one pass I remember most was when the Fireflies sweeper came up to play her crossing pass to Maddie, Breanna simply adjusted her pass to go behind the sweeper. Even the opposing coach thought that pass was exceptional. Her play at sweeper I thought was outstanding. I want to keep her challenged during the games, and if playing sweeper does that, she will see playing time there. Breanna is becoming a very unselfish player. I know that if she had wanted, she could have scored four or five goals in the game, yet she chose to share the ball for the sake of the team. She is a joy to coach, and is the most intelligent player I have ever had the privilege to teach.

Jim

He is always so complimentary of her and it is really kind of him to take the time to do this. Well, until next season, goodbye, soccer.

No comments: