Friday, May 28, 2010

What if...


If you are like me, there are moments in your life that you think "what if" over and over and over.

Yesterday my friend Susan and I played in a doubles tennis tournament. We had anticipated this tournament for a whole year. So we were really excited to get the chance to play together again.

I won't go into detail because there is way too much detail, but "IF" we would have scored just one more game or two more games (which was entirely possible, and should have been, but we just lost it and played really poorly against one team), we could have been up for the championship.

I couldn't concentrate at all yesterday because the missed plays kept replaying in my mind. "If" I would have only hit that one ball over the net, we would have won that game or "if" that serve would have gone in we would have won that game. I couldn't sleep all night just thinking about that "one" game that we should have won.

So I was looking up good thoughts so I could feel better and this is what I found.


To win you have to risk loss. ~Jean-Claude Killy

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take. ~Wayne Gretzky

Progress always involves risks. You can't steal second base and keep your foot on first. ~Frederick B. Wilcox

Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly. ~Robert F. Kennedy


Aren't those great quotes. I feel better already. Sometimes it just isn't meant to be, but if we are always thinking about the "what ifs" how can we move on and keep trying.
So, Susan and I will try again, and again and maybe we'll never win the championship, but the fun is in trying.

1 comment:

Johanna Markworth said...

I loved the quotes! That is so awesome that you are playing tennis! Wish I played! Have a great summer!