I was awake half the night Sunday night because my thumb was throbbing in pain. At about 1 AM I decided to check out the internet to see what I should do about my thumb. I read that if the blackened area covers more than 25% of the fingernail you need to go to the doctor and have it drained (or they gave directions to do it yourself, but I couldn't stomach it). So the next morning I headed to the doctor to have my nail drained.
For those with a weak stomach, just brace yourself. This is how a nail is drained. First they take a very small torch thing and light it up. Then when it is hot enough they place it against the nail and it melts a hole in it. I could hear the sizzle (I couldn't look) as it went into my nail. I wasn't supposed to hurt, but it felt a bit like when you chew on aluminum foil on a filling. It was a zap more than pain, but definitely didn't feel good anyway. Then I looked over and blood was oozing out all over the place. There was a LOT of blood coming out.
Now today my thumb has regained some mobility (I couldn't move it because it was so swollen) and isn't as tender. However, I still have a bit of drainage. Gross huh.

Here is a lovely illustration of what my thumb went through. I thought you all might like the graphic nature of the picture. :)
1 comment:
Wow, I hope you don't have to go through that again. I never would have thought that you would have to go get it drained. So sorry.
Post a Comment