Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spring recital

Josh and Bree had their spring recital yesterday. They didn't have as many weeks to work on their songs as they normally do so I was a bit nervous about having them learn and memorize their songs.


As always, they surprise me with their ability to do this.


Bree is playing "Haunted House Rock". She wanted to play a Raiders of the Lost Ark number, but the teacher changed her mind, so Bree settled for this one. She worked hard on getting the fingering because it was a bit tricky for her. She was so cute up there. As much as she fights me about playing the piano (it is an all out battle at times) she sure does well. I am proud of her for sticking with it.



Josh is playing "Golliwog's Cakewalk" by Debussy. The teacher had to do a bit of revamping (she took out about three lines and added lines he already knew) in order for Josh to get the whole song learned before the recital, so it is a bit different than the original.


The videos take too long to download so I can't post both Joshua's actual recital and his playing
it at home. I chose to put the video of him playing it at home because you can see his fingering. (He did just as fabulously at his recital though). This song he played has 3 flats for about 2/3 of the song and six flats for about 1/3 of the song. It was really difficult. I was so impressed that he could do it. I tried to sight read it and it is hard. I think Josh is getting pretty close to passing me up in piano playing ability, if he hasn't already! I took like 8 years and he has only taken for 5. It is nice to sit in the room and listen to him play.



No comments: