Yesterday the kids had their "Holiday" parties (for some reason they can't mention the word Christmas) at school. They had tons of food, crafts and a book exchange. Both kids seemed to enjoy the food quite a bit, they also enjoyed the craft, but they had mixed feelings on the book exchange.
Before I explain, let me say that at our house, we tend to read a lot. The way we punish Joshua is to take away his book he is reading at the time. Breanna doesn't love to read as well as Joshua, but she has to do everything Joshua is doing, which means she reads or is read to quite often.
So back to the book exchange. Breanna gave a big chapter book as her gift. Unfortunately, most first graders still want to read picture books (Bree would too, but since Joshua doesn't, she doesn't want to either. Can you tell we have a bit of competition with our younger one). There weren't any other books given that were chapter books. As a matter of fact, Bree got a little coloring book. She tried to act excited (because the teacher told them to, even if they weren't) but I heard her say, "I wanted a chapter book".
Joshua on the other hand, got a book he loved. He has read other books in the series and was excited to get reading this one. As a matter of fact, the teacher had to tell him to pay attention and put his book away. I have a feeling she has to say that a lot to Joshua, I know I do.
My sister Kari is always asking what books are good for kids. I thought I would put togther a list of a few of our favorites.

Fablehaven, by Brandon Mull, is a book Jason read to the kids and they both really enjoyed it. It is fantasy and has a lot of fun descriptions and adventures (there are two in the series so far, and both are great).

Magyk, Flyte, and Physik, by Angie Sage, are great. Joshua just finished the second one. There will be atleast one more in the series. Again, fantasy. A bit harder.
The Spiderwick Chronicles, by Tony DiTerlizzi, are also fun fantasy with amazing illustrations. I think a movie is going to come out soon.
Kringle, by Tony Abbott, is a Christmas book Jason just got done reading to the family last night. It was about Santa and how he came to be. Again, it is fantasy, which our family seems to love.
(I can't figure our this blog stuff, so the picture is off )We also recommend:
Hank the Cowdog books, not fantasy :)
Secrets of Droon books
Magic Tree House (Bree loves these)
Harry Potter (surprise, surprise)
Dragon Slayer Academy series (silly, but boys seems to like them)
Books by Gail Carson Levine (Ella Enchanted etc)
Artemis Fowl books (for older kids, maybe 10 or older)
Anyway, those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure more will come later. Happy Reading.


No comments:
Post a Comment