Joshua has always been very mellow and laid back. Even as an infant he had no desire to crawl and explore the world. He was just happy to sit and play with his toys. He actually never did crawl, he went straight from sitting to walking. (Some doctors claim that that isn't healthy for a child and might mess him up. Judging from Joshua's braininess, I don't think it had any effect on him at all).
Joshua is amazingly obedient and never talks back to either Jason or me. Whenever we ask him to do something, he might sigh in disappoinment, or ask if he can wait a minute, but he never tells us "no". For example I was talking with some friends and they asked me if Joshua ever complained about practicing piano like their boys do. I thought back and I can honestly say he has never put up a fuss about practicing. Now that doesn't mean he loves to practice, he just doesn't whine about it.
It might sound like I am bragging about this quality in Joshua but I have actually worried a bit about this. Why doesn't this child ever talk back? Is he normal? Am I too controlling?
Lately however, I have had a bit of hope in our son. In my warped sense of motherhood, I have actually been secretly excited that Joshua has started to stand up for himself a bit. It makes me smile when I hear him yell at his sister (she has no problem yelling at him). I know, that is completely insane! But it is really nice to hear him have a voice.
As a matter of fact, I actually heard Joshua talk back to his dad the other day. We were driving in the car and Breanna was irritating Joshua by mooing like a cow over and over. Joshua (in his new found voice) said to Bree, "Be quiet Bree."
Jason replied, "did I hear a "please" in that?"
Joshua snapped back, "you never use please when you tell us to be quiet!"
This completely caught Jason off guard and his only reply was, "that is because I am rude and I don't want you to be like me".
I couldn't help but smile over this little exchange. Ah, it sure does my heart good to hear that young man sassing.
1 comment:
I knew you had it in you somewhere joshua. I have actually been amazed at how controlled you are at everything you do. I wish I had that quality. Maybe you can teach your dad everything I couldn't manage to get across to him.
Post a Comment