Monday, August 23, 2010

I cried


Every year my kids get a little older. I know that is a profound statement but it is becoming a hard reality for me lately.

This morning I took the kids to school and waved at them as they walked up to their schools (I wasn't one of the "good" moms who walk their kids to class and get pictures of them in front of their school, nope, I just dropped them off and waved good-bye). Josh started 6th and Bree started 4th.

I never cried when my kids started kindergarten, hey I still had years with them, what was all the blubbering about? I never cried any other year since then either. But something crazy happened this morning. As I was dropping the kids off, a song came in our car (a Mo-Tab selection that was playing from the Sabbath). It is called "Turn Around" and these are some of the words:

Where are you going, my little one, little one?

Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you're two, turn around and and you're four, turn around and you're a young girl going out of the door.

Where are you going, my little one, little one?
Little dirndls (?) and petticoats, where have they gone?
Turn around, and you're tiny, turn around and you're grown, Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.

I started bawling like a baby. I'm not sure where it came from, but there I was driving my kids to school and I was bawling. Luckily I had sunglasses on so my kids couldn't see me. I'm not sure what they would have thought about that.

So there you have it, I am having one of those moments where I just want time to stop. I don't want my kids to grow anymore. Josh is now passing the sacrament, Bree's been asking about bras (she doesn't need one!) and I'm just not ready. I'm too young to handle this. I'm going to be an empty nester when I'm 45! That is tooooo young.

So I am going to have a pitty party for a while and then get rid of those negative thoughts and move on. I am going to enjoy each moment with my sweet, fantastic, wonderful, children. What a blessing it is to be a mom.

1 comment:

corrychronicles said...

I am so with you on that, my only sanity comes from the fact that Rylie came into the picture and stalled things for a little while. I am alreay anticipating her going to preschool and me bawling--she has been my life the past 4 years while the boys are in school. What do I do with my time now? :) Anyway I understand!