Friday, January 18, 2008

tips and recommendations

I really love it when friends share. I have had several tips and a few recommendations lately that I would like to pass on to all of you.

First, a gal I visit teach and my visiting teaching partner couldn't stop going on and on about Michael Buble. He is a "crooner" as they put it. I decided to check out some of his songs and I decided I am a fan of this guy. You can hear a couple of his songs on our play list. He is really quite enjoyable.




Next, a friend suggested seeing the movie Stardust. I watched it while I folded laundry one day (Jason would never watch this kind of movie with me). It was such a fun movie. Definitely recommend this one.



My next tip was a recipe for easy chili (Amy I hope you don't mind my sharing your yummy recipe, my family loved it).
Hearty Chili
1 lb. ground beef
1 can Ranch Style Beans
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
onion
celery
chopped carrots
1/2 cup water
chili powder to taste (can also add Tabasco)
salt
Just throw it all together and let it simmer for about an hour. Yummy with
grated sharp cheddar & some cornbread.

Finally, this one isn't a tip or recommendation, really it was just an idea my friend (the one who recommended Stardust) gave me without knowing it. For Christmas her family made homemade granola for their neighbor gift. It was delicious. I have made granola several times but a very basic granola.
When our"iron chef" challenge came this month with coconut as the ingredient I decided to make granola (with coconut in it). I came up with a recipe using about 4 different recipes from the Internet, and the basic recipe I have used in the past from the food storage book :), but I stole two ingredients from our friends, the Woodruffs. So I felt I better give them credit for the flax seeds and white chocolate chips I put in my granola. Here is the recipe for those who are interested.
Becky's granola
4 cups old fashioned oats
1 1/2 cups slivered almonds
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/8 cup flax seeds
1 cup coconut
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 bag white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cherries and golden raisins (I found them together in a package at Kroger (Smith's for Utah people)) This one was my idea, rather than the regular raisins that most recipes call for, cuz I love dried cherries (the golden raisins were just a bonus).
Preheat oven to 300. Mix oats, almonds, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, sesame seeds, flax seeds, and coconut. In saucepan warm honey, oil and whisk in vanilla. Carefully pour liquid over oat mixture. Stir gently with wooden spoon. Spread granola in a large cookie sheet or baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven and stir in cherries and raisins. Cool completely. Add white chocolate chips and store in an airtight container.
By the way, I tied for 3rd place with this recipe (I actually tied with a pina colada drink which should have won hands down in my opinion).

No comments: