Sunday, May 11, 2008

10 YEARS OLD!!!!

I can't believe my baby is 10 years old. These past 10 years have gone so quickly and it makes me so sad to see how fast my children are growing up. I write this blog in hopes of capturing some of those special childhood memories before my kids grow up.

When Joshua was born I know Jason was looking foward to having a boy who he could go out and play catch with and would watch hours of sports with, like so many father do. Well things don't always work out that way. Joshua, turned out to be so much more than that. He may not like to rough house and isn't a sports fanatic but he has so many other great qualities and talents, we couldn't have asked for more in a son. I won't go on and on and bore everyone, but I want Joshua to know how proud I am of him and who he is.

Last night we had a big fiesta for him. Our theme was "Diez de Mayo".


We had nachos for dinner to start off the night. I am so used to Joshua being so easy to please when it comes to food that I was surprised that all the other boys only had chips, meat and cheese. Joshua was the only one to have the works on his nachos.








We then had a competition between two teams. We had several challenges for the boys that earned them points. They had to throw jalapeno peppers into a sombrero, decipher spanish words, eat hot tomales, compete in a cow riding game on the Wii, and play a game of fiesta football. The winners got big bags of candy and the other team got small bags of candy.





















After the competition, they got to break a pinata. The boys loved that one. We got some cute "chili head" pictures of all the boys too.




















Joshua was spoiled with many very nice presents. He loved everything he got.

Finally, we ended with cake and ice cream. I asked a friend in our ward who does cakes professionally for some ideas for cakes and she gave me the idea for this cake. She had done one with a sombrero on top like this. I decided to make the number 10 shaped like cactuses instead. I used fondant for the cactus on top and the chili peppers. It was a lot of fun.



















For favors I looked everywhere for some kind of gift for the boys, but at their age there really isn't anything that is reasonable. So I opted for a bag of candybars for each of them. While I was preparing the bags I realized that between the candy from the pinata, the candy from the competition, the candy for the favors, and the cake and ice cream, these boys would have tons of sweets. I felt badly about that so I threw in a toothbrush for all the boys too. I don't want to be held responsible for any dental bills they might have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Talent overflows in your family. The time, thought, and energy that goes into a birthday party is amazing. You deserve an extra gold star for this one. -Grandma Corry