Friday, March 7, 2008

Let it Snow!

Yesterday was a great day for us down here in Texas. While the kids were in school, the snow started to come down. By the time the kids got home, it was a full blown snowstorm around here. I know for most of you, snow isn't a big deal. But here in Texas, it only snows hard about every three years and when it does snow the world comes to a complete stop and nobody knows what to do with themselves.

When I picked up the kids I was sliding all over the roads (they don't have snowplows here) and Joshua said to me, "Are you doing that on purpose mom?" He was very nervous and kept saying, "I hope we make it home." We only live half a mile from the school so I wasn't worried we would make it home, I was just hoping we would make it without sliding into another car on the road. Luckily, we made it just fine. We also had plenty of time to play in the snow too.























Joshua, Breanna and I got started with the playing as soon as we got home. We don't have proper snow clothing so we had to double up on mittens and put several layers under our jackets/coats. The kids' shoes were completely soaking when it was all over too (we even had to get the blow dryers out this morning to get their shoes dry for school). But I must say we had a great time.

We built a snowman family, complete with Chewey, our hamster, on top of Jason's head (mysteriously, some Chewey poops seemed to appear too). We had a great time but were a bit cold when we were done.
























When Jason got home (it took him 2 hours and 15 minutes to get home) he asked why we were inside and said we had to go back out. "You have to take advantage of these days," I believe were his words. He took the kids out and they played for another couple of hours (I had my fill earlier that day so I chose to stay inside). They had an exciting snowball fight (check out the picture of the snowball Jason threw as Joshua was ducking and the picture of Breanna catching a snowball).

Then they headed to the front yard to build another snowman. The kids really had a great day.
















This morning as I looked outside I noticed that our snowmen had changed a bit. If any of you have read the children's book "Snowmen at night" I think I may just believe the story. The story is about what snowmen really do while we are all asleep. They have snowball fights, go sledding, play snowman games etc. The last page says, "So if your snowman's grin is crooked, or he's lost a little height, you'll know he's just been doing what snowmen do at night!"

Just take a look at the pictures before and the pictues after.
BEFORE PICTURES

























The mom snowman has started to tilt by they time Jason and the kids are having the snowball fight, but has mysteriously been uprighted by this morning. Hmmmm. Also, the dad snowman was straight last night but was lopsided by morning. Hmmmm. The Joshua and Breanna snowmen were a bit lopsided and smaller this morning too. Hmmmm. I wonder.

AFTER PICTURE


















BUT the biggest change is with our fronyard snowman. Check it out.

BEFORE!



















AFTER! Need I say more?












3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that someone likes the snow. I have had quite enough this year. I should have taken some pictures and sent to you. Love, Grandma

Jennifer Crawford said...

So glad that you were able to enjoy the few snow flurries- the kids were picking up the last few piles on their walk home from school today in order to salvage the last of the SNOW!

Anonymous said...

I love to see all the photos of everyone & the snow! Isn't it so exciting to get snow here? I just don't understand how people up North get sick of it...but, I've never loved up North either so I don't know what it's really like. To me, snow is magic!

It looks like y'all got more than we did!