Last night I decided to cook fish. Yes, (I know my family is in shock with the word fish) I attempted fish. I don't like fish, have never liked fish. The last time I ate fish was when I was pregnant with Breanna and my sisters bet me $10 that I wouldn't eat halibut at some restaurant. I ate the entire fish. The first few bites were tolerable, but the rest I had to drink a lot of soda to wash it down. I had to prove I could do it, even if it was not too pleasant. (I never got the $10 by the way).
Well, back to my main story. We all have heard the benefits of fish and I know that palates change, so I decided that maybe, by some miracle, I would like it now. I found a recipe called, macadamia-crusted tilapia with fresh pineapple salsa. Honestly, how could this not be good with a name like macadamia-crusted tilapia with fresh pineapple salsa?
So I slaved away in the kitchen and ended up with a very nice looking dish. The yellow and red from the salsa added just the right touch on the fish.
This is how the conversations went at the dinner table:
Joshua (as he was crying): "I can't eat that!" (I will explain all of this later in the post).
Breanna, taking a bite: "This is disgusting" as she spits it out in her hand. Breanna has always been brutally honest about my cooking. (She gets the spitting thing from me. I have been known to spit food out, even in public, and for some reason Jason doesn't approve of this).
Jason: "This fish tastes like dirt." Oh great, the one person to pretend he likes it doesn't even hide his disgust.
Me: "Yeah, it does taste like dirt." I then proceed to choke down a few more bites just to make sure it really is a bad as I thought.
I then calmly walked to the pantry and pulled out the Reese's puffs cereal I got for 55 cents earlier that day (I very rarely buy sugared cereals but, hey, for 55 cents a box how can I not buy it)and we feasted on cereal for the third night this week.
So much for my macadamia-crusted tilapia with fresh pineapple salsa.
****************************************
Part 2
Some of Jason's family may remember that Joshua refused to go fishing with us last summer. This was due to the fact that he thinks it is flat out cruel to kill fish (or any animal for that fact).
When we went to Oklahoma, all the boys went fishing, but not our Joshua. He wouldn't even look in the direction of the live minnows that they bought to catch the fish with.
He can't even watch shows on TV that show someone fishing (or being mean to animals).
So, when he found out I cooked fish, he was abhorred that his mother could be so cruel.
Now, he will eat chicken or meat, but he doesn't really look at those as animals, they are just food, like bread or milk. Fish, however, "are so cute" as he put it.
To prove to us how cruel we were to try and make him eat fish, he put in his favorite movie, "Hoot", for our viewing pleasure during our Reese's puffs feast. He says this is his favorite because it has a great message about treating animals well and not hurting them.
I think we have a future leader of PETA on our hands.
1 comment:
So sorry that your meal didn't turn out, it looked pretty. We are not fish eaters either and so you are brave to even try.
I guess we won't be planning another fishing trip for the kids when you guys come out this summer.
Post a Comment