Sunday, March 23, 2008

Oklahoma

What a fun Spring break we had! Some friends of ours, the Murry's, invited us to share a cabin with them at Broken Bow Lake, Oklahoma, which is about 3 1/2 hours away. Another of our friends, the Vorwallers, met us there as well, so we were able to spend 2 1/2 days with two great families. I wasn't sure what to expect, but everything turned out to be so much fun. We couldn't have asked for better weather either. It was sunny and in the low 70s the whole time.



















The cabin was beautiful. You can see it at http://www.brokenbowcabinlodging.com/cabin_lazy_d_retreat.html

The kids had a great time around the cabin by exploring and collecting rocks, cooking smores over a fire, playing in the hot tub, and playing checkers.



























One night while the adults were playing a rousing game of Settlers of Catan, we found our kids in our bed watching TV. It was a cute picture moment.















On Friday morning we went canoeing down a very calm river. It was the first time the kids had done this so they really enjoyed it. I, on the other hand, was a bit nervous, to say the least. I don't like the water so every time the kids rocked the boat I would let them know that I wasn't happy. I was sitting in the front and I soon found out that if I had an oar in my hands I seemed to feel more in control so Jason let me have an oar most of the time (isn't he sweet). After a while I started to calm down and I really found it peaceful there on the river. We were all sad when it was over.




















We took a couple of hikes too and in this picture you can see the river we canoed down in the background.















On Saturday we took the kids horseback riding. This was also a first for them so they were very excited. Breanna led the group of 14 on her horse Queenie. Joshua followed on Portia, I rode Socks and Jason was on Pal. It was really easy riding and the surroundings were nice and woodsy. The only problems we seemed to have were that the horses would sometimes wander off out of line or they would have to stop to do their business and the whole group would get a nice show.

Breanna liked it so much that she asked if we could keep going on the horses over and over. I really enjoyed it but my back side was happy to stop.














After the horseback riding we went to the paddle boats. The three boys, Joshua, Zachary and Michael, went out on a paddle boat by themselves. The adults took turns taking the younger kids out. I could hardly walk after my first turn out because my legs were definitely feeling the burn.














We also rented yacanoes (I didn't know what they were either). Again the three boys went out on them to have a good game of tag or crash or whatever they were doing out there. Jason and I realized that it was very hard to let Joshua go out on his own. We are struggling with that fact that he is growing up I guess. As great as it was to see him go out there, I felt sad seeing him so independent and not wanting mom and dad to be with him. I'm sure it only gets harder, the older they get.














My family will be so impressed with me because I went out on my own yacanoe. It took a lot of persuasion from my friends, and I was very apprehensive, but I did it and I actually really liked it. It always feels good to do something that scares you or makes you nervous, because you realize that you are stronger than you think you are.


So that was the end of our Oklahoma adventure. The only thing wrong with it was that it was too short. Jason and I agreed that we really could have used one more day there.

As a side note, while Jason and I drove to and from Oklahoma, we talked a lot about our lives. We realized that as hard as it was to make the decision to leave our families in Utah, we knew Texas was where our family was supposed to be. Over the past four and a half years we have come to realize that we have been so blessed with amazing friends here. From our first Sunday here in Texas we have always felt welcomed and loved. Friends have made all the difference to each of us in our family. We have been in three wards and have met great people that have taught us, shared with us, helped us, served us and have become our surrogate family. We truly are very blessed.

2 comments:

Therese said...

wow! what a great holiday, becky. thanks for posting about it.

Anonymous said...

You guys can always found the funnest things to do. I am envious of you. I am so glad you have found such good friends and I am thankful you are happy.